Tuesday, March 26, 2013

I AM NOT DR. DOOLITTLE

Unlike Dr. Doolittle, I do not go around talking to every animal I see.  First of all, I follow a strict code of ethics that includes the directive that I do not talk to an animal without permission. 

People ask me what it is like to have animals talking to me everywhere I go.  Well...it’s not like that.  If you are walking down the street or at the mall, you don’t talk to everyone you see.  In fact, you might not even pay attention to them.

There is a very good reason for this.  First of all, I do not have the right to interpret just any animal’s behavior or purpose and certainly do not have the right to interfere with it.  If I witness animal abuse or other issue, the opportunity to do something about it will present itself because the animal allows that to happen.  I will be close enough to speak up or report it. 

Sometimes, the lesson is just for you.  Sometimes it is a story that crosses the country via news media and the internet - a lesson for many.  The point is...do you care?  Do you have compassion?  Are you able to send love and appreciation for that animal’s lesson for all of us?

The way we treat animals is a reflection of the way we relate to the world.  If we mistreat the basic aspects of life, we can not cherish life.

No comments:

Post a Comment